The Divide

The Divide

Friday, April 13, 2012

Ravens

These two ravens are observing the world from the top of a cabin roof near Estes Park.  They are certainly inquisitive birds.  One day I put out a bag of garbage for pickup.  I attached an envelope containing money for the man who picks up, using that clear packing tape that is absolutely people proof.  I noticed a couple of these ravens walking around the bag looking and pecking at it.  After a while I went out there to check on it because I could see a few holes around the bottom of the bag.  The envelope with my money was GONE.  Now, it was a pretty windy day, so I suspect that those guys pecked at that thing until it was loose enough to blow away.  OR, maybe they are out spending my money, doing a little shopping!

Ravens are known for being very intelligent, with reasoning powers almost equal to those of a dog.  I am used to seeing Texas crows and grackles, but these ravens make them look small--they are some big birds.  And very interesting to watch.  With some criminal tendenances as well--dang theives.

No comments:

Post a Comment